Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Splinters by Thorny Sterling

After reading Splinters I must say I’m speechless.  In a totally, overwhelmingly great way.  There are very few (if any) debut books that are as well written and articulate as Thorny Sterling’s Splinters.

The story starts with Allan waking up tied to a wooden plank.  What’s even more disturbing is the fact he has no recollection of how he got there. 

Looking down from astride his mount Duke sees what appears to be a man, bound to a wooden plank in the middle of his range.  Duke has no idea what’s happened to the man or how he got there, but one thing is for sure.  The guy didn’t do that to himself.

From the very first sentence to the very last period Mr. Sterling wove a tale of mystery and intrigue that quite honestly had me engrossed in the story. Not only that, but it was fun.

As I immersed myself in the story of the big city fashion model and Texas cowboy I was struck by how well written this was.  The flow of the story seemed effortless and the pacing was perfect. The author definitely has a special voice when weaving a story.  His words are beautifully sculpted and they created a world that made me feel like I was a part of it, sitting front and center, watching events unfold.

One of the things I loved the most (and trust me, there were many) was how the author was able to show his character’s vulnerabilities without making them look weak.  

I feel this is a talented, up and coming author and I’m really looking forward to reading more of his stories in the future.  





my rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️

No comments:

Post a Comment